Daily Archives: October 3, 2017

MASS SHOOTINGS SEND SHOCK WAVES IN SOUTH AFRICAN HOUSING SETTLEMENT

CAPE TOWN--As it was a Friday night, and like most of his peers, 25-year-old Jokazi then told his cousin Amanda Tshangela that he was going to play pool and would be back later.

That was the last time Tshangela saw him, and was later to hear that he had been shot.

Jokazi was one of the 10 people killed by unknown assailants in Marikana informal settlement in Philipi East, Cape Town, on Friday night.

The killings have since sent shockwaves in the community while provincial police have stepped up their visibility in the area to prevent further killings.

Yesterday, Tshangela said of her cousin: He died on the spot. He was not a bad person and he didn't have any bad friends.

"I can't believe up until now that he is dead. We are not safe here, we are moving out.

Police have called for reinforcement to police the informal settlement for fear that more violence could break as community leaders were meeting in secret locations about the Friday night mass killings.

Earlier yesterday, police were prevented from entering the settlement as residents complained that they have lost faith in the police to protect them.

At the Philipi East police station, community leaders told cops that residents had lost hope in the police and that they were very upset following Friday night's mass shootings.

Ward 35 councillor Mboniswa Chitha provided a detailed account of the shootings, claiming that the suspects had forced their entry into some homes and in some cases forced parents to perform oral sex in front of their children.

Joseph Makeleni, a community leader in Marikana, said a gang of about 30 men, some dressed neatly, jumped out of the vehicles and split into groups, making their way to different sections of the area around 19:00 on Friday.

Makeleni said the gang shot four revellers at Emaweleni shebeen.

Another four young men were killed in Rholihlahla section. The gang, Makeleni said, proceeded on the shooting spree and fatally wounded a security guard found hitch-hiking on the road.

There was blood all over the shebeen. One parent was crying uncontrollably. One family member is a twin to a brother shot dead in the shebeen. The twin brother [the one alive] is heartbroken and devastated, said Makeleni.

Western Cape police spokesperson Brigadier Novela Potelwa confirmed that a 10th person who was injured during the attacks died in hospital later.

Police were yesterday executing search operations, while further units � including the tactical response team � were being called to come and assist.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK

SOUTH AFRICAN UNIVERSITY CLOSES CAMPUS AFTER VIOLENT PROTESTS

CAPE TOWN--The University of Fort Hare has closed its Alice campus until further notice after a student centre was set alight, causing damage worth an estimated R200,000, a university spokesperson said on Monday.

"[Management] has come to the conclusion that the volatility of students makes it difficult for staff members to do their work effectively," university spokesperson Khotso Moabi said in a statement.

Moabi said all staff and students had been asked to vacate the campus by Tuesday, October 3.

Eastern Cape police spokesperson Siyasanga Nontshinga said one student was arrested for arson after allegedly setting the student centre alight on Monday afternoon.

She said protesters were demanding to see the university's vice chancellor Sakhela Buhlungu.

"More arrests are imminent," Nontshinga said.

The university's main campus in Alice, has been brought to a standstill over the past week after disgruntled students allegedly vandalised a bookshop and blocked streets.

A meeting of the student representative council and management last week Tuesday failed to defuse tensions over issues including periodic water outages and power cuts and Wi-Fi connectivity downtime at residences.

On Wednesday, some students blocked the R63 at the entrance to the university.

They also allegedly stoned vehicles, looted livestock and grocery items from passing cars and plunged the entire campus into darkness when they cut power on Wednesday.

On Thursday, students allegedly stole stock worth an estimated R1.97m from a bookshop. Students are believed to have stolen laptops, tablets, stationery and kitchen utensils while damaging the property and breaking glass windows.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK

Condolences after deadly Las Vegas shooting

President Jacob Zuma has extended his condolences to the government and the people of the United States following the mass shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada.

At least 58 people were killed and more than 500 others injured in the mass shooting at a concert held in Las Vegas, making the incident the deadliest in US history.

The Presidency said South Africa's consulate in Los Angeles is in contact with South Africans in Las Vegas.

The mission has confirmed that there were no South African victims from the shooting.

Concerned families with relatives in the affected city are invited to call the Department of International Relations and Cooperation on 012 351 1000 for assistance.

Source: South African Government News Agency

Minister Edna Molewa withdraws Integrated Industry Waste Tyre ...

The Minister of Environmental Affairs, Dr Edna Molewa has announced the withdrawal of the Integrated Industry Waste Tyre Management Plan (IIWTMP) which was submitted by the Recycling and Economic Development Initiative of South Africa (REDISA) effective from 01 October 2017.

In June 2017, Minister Molewa called for public comments after she announced her intention to withdraw the IIWTMP. Having duly considered all the comments received, the Minister decided to withdraw the plan, citing REDISA's that the term of its contract has come to an end. In addition, our evaluation performed over a period of time, indicated that there has been poor governance of the Plan. There has also been mismanagement related matters that have been raised in court papers and led to the provisional and final liquidation orders of REDISA being granted to the DEA.

In the meantime, the Department of Environmental Affairs' Waste Management Bureau (WMB) will manage the waste tyre stream through, amongst others, the 2017 Waste Tyre Regulations gazetted for implementation in Gazette No. 41157.

The Waste Management Bureau is established in terms of section 34 of the National Environmental Management: Waste Act 59 of 2008 to implement and monitor the industry waste management plans, programmes and strategies. It is also responsible for promoting and facilitating the minimisation, re-use, recycling and recovery of waste, and best practices in relation thereto.

The newly gazetted regulations repeal the Waste Tyre Regulations, 2009 and aim to remove duplications, advance the implementation of waste tyre strategy to reduce the environmental externalities associated with waste tyres in South Africa.

The Regulations provide for transitional arrangements in the event that a waste tyre management plan expires, be withdrawn or be terminated. In the event that a waste tyre management plan expires, be withdrawn or be terminated and at the time there no other industry waste management plan exists in terms of section 28 or 29 of the Act for the same or substantially the same waste stream, the WMB assumes responsibility to facilitate, supervise and control the management of waste tyres for the interim until a new industry waste tyre management plan is approved.

The DEA calls on all participants that were registered with the waste tyre management plan upon the expiry, withdrawal or termination thereof, shall in the interim register with the Bureau.

Source: Government of South Africa

UN: Huge Surge in DRC Refugees Fleeing to Zambia

The United Nations refugee agency reports a huge surge in the number of refugees fleeing to Zambia to escape growing violence in southeastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

The U.N. refugee agency says more than 3,360 refugees from the Democratic Republic of Congo have fled into northern Zambia since August 30, making this the largest influx of Congolese into that country in the past five years.

The UNHCR says increased inter-ethnic violence in the DRC provinces of Haut-Katanga and Tanganyika, as well as fighting between Congolese security forces and militia groups, are driving civilians to cross the border.

UNHCR spokesman Andrej Mahecic warns insecurity in DRC is likely to lead to further displacement.

Those arriving in Zambia report extreme brutality, with civilians being killed, women raped, property looted and houses set alight. Some 60 percent of those arriving in Zambia are children. Many show signs of malnutrition. Malaria, respiratory problems, dysentery and skin infections are common among the refugees, who are now in urgent need of protection and life-saving support, he said.

Mahecic said most of the refugees are being relocated to a transit center some 90 kilometers from the border. He noted some of the new arrivals remain at the border, waiting for their families to cross.

The spokesman told VOA the UNHCR already has deployed emergency teams to Zambia to monitor the crisis and provide aid.

There was an earlier influx of which we spoke about some weeks ago, that was - over a day we have seen 500 arrivals in 24 hours and at that point we have deployed additional staff to that area. But, I want to underline there are huge logistical challenges given the remoteness of the area and access, he said.

Mahecic said the UNHCR is working with the Zambian government and Red Cross to distribute hot meals and identify people with special needs. He said psycho-social support is being provided for survivors of sexual and gender-based violence.

Source: Voice of America

Auditor General commends DOC and GCIS for achieving clean audit ...

The Auditor General commends Department of Communication (DOC) and the Government Communications and Information System (GCIS) for achieving clean audit reports for the 2016/2017 financial year.

The DOC maintained a clean audit for the second consecutive year while the GCIS achieved a clean audit for the fourth consecutive year.

Led by the Minister of Communications, Ayanda Dlodlo, and Deputy Minister of Communications, Tandi Mahambehlala the Annual Report for 2016 /2017 of the DOC and GCIS were unpacked in Parliament today.

Deliberations covered the Departments' performance in relation to its strategic plan, which contributes towards the 2014-2019 Medium-term Strategic Framework (MTSF).

In her presentation to Parliament's Portfolio Committee of Communications, Minister Dlodlo revealed that the Department of Communication achieved 76 percent of its targets and the GCIS achieved 96 percent of its annual targets.

Although key vacancies still exist in both departments, the Minister committed to filling the posts of Director-General in the DOC and GCIS, by the end of this year.

Both departments aspire to deliver on Outcome 14 of the Medium Term Strategic Framework (MTSF), which strives to equip South Africans with information that will ensure active citizenry and participation in the country's development and journey toward achieving Vision 2030 of the National Development Plan.

The DOC, Acting Director General, Ms Qinisile Delwa said, The DOC declared success in numerous areas, including the switch off of the analogue signal in core areas surrounding the Square Kilometre Array (SKA) in the Northern Cape and rolling out 69 digital awareness campaigns resulting in thousands of STB installations countrywide. The Department is pleased to report that today more young people trained as installers of the DTT and DTH devices.

Acting Director General of the GCIS, Ms Phumla Williams said: The GCIS's consistent track record of a clean audit shows the department's commitment to accountability, efficiency and financial performance that complies to the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA).

During the 2016 / 2017 financial year, GCIS distributed 21 346 million copies of Government's Newspaper, Vuk'uzenzele throughout the country and to those individuals with limited or no access to mainstream media. For those with visual disability, the GCIS ensured that 7 800 copies of the Vuk'uzenzele newspaper printed in Braille were also delivered.

As radio remains a primary source of information for South Africans, the GCIS reported that, during the year under review, it reached up to 5 million people at any given time and brought government information, through the broadcast of 60 Radio Programmes, daily news bulletins and seven live link ups to government events aimed at informing the public about Government's programmes and policies.

The Government website, www.gov.za, is updated on a daily basis and a range of social media tools were utilised to keep the public abreast on the work of government. GCIS also brought government closer to the people through 1 839 development communication campaigns. Through the Thusong Service Centres, where members of the public can access information and services � over 7 527 486 people were reached.

Williams said: The government newspaper Vukuzenzele distribution reach is one of the biggest in South Africa and we have proudly tabled a report that shows that while we reach millions of people daily, we do so upholding our Constitutional Mandate, with accountability and efficiencies - facing budgetary constraints.

Over the next two weeks, it's expected that DOC entities including MDDA, ICASA and the SABC will also present their 2016/2017 audit outcomes to Parliament.

Source: Government of South Africa

Missing boy (12) sought by Brighton Beach SAPS

Brighton Beach SAPS would like to make an appeal to the members of the community regarding a missing person, Botlale Mpeke (12) from Kennard Rise, Glenmore in Durban. He left home on 28 September 2017 at about 19:00, he was last seen wearing black short and t-shirt. We appeal to anyone who might have information on his whereabouts to contact the investigating officer, Detective Sergeant Dludla at 083 295 4169 or Crime Stop can be contacted on 08600 10111.

Source: South African Police Service

Trade and Industry Portfolio Committee Receives Briefing on Debt ...

Parliament� Parliament's Portfolio Committee on Trade and Industry today had an engagement on the draft framework of the Committee Bill on Debt Relief.

The Committee received a briefing from the Parliamentary Legal Advisor, Adv. Charmaine van der Merwe, on the possibilities of what could be provided for in the proposed legislation. The framework proposed a once-off debt relief measure as well as measures that the Minister could prescribe. It sets out the criteria, application process, and consequences of debt relief provided. Debt relief could include capping of interest and other charges, suspension of credit agreements, or where there is insufficient prospect that the consumer may improve his or her financial circumstances over the next 12 months to such an extent that he or she can repay the debt, the extinguishing of that debt. The persons and credit agreements to which these measure will apply, will however, be specifically defined in the Bill.

It is currently proposed that such once-off applications could be made to the National Credit Regulator (NCR), who may among other things, refer it for debt review if the NCR is of the view that debt relief would be a more suitable measure.

The Committee heard that when the consumer submitted the once-off debt relief application, the consumer may not incur any further charges under a credit facility or enter into any further credit agreement until the process is finalised. Furthermore, the credit provider may not exercise or enforce by litigation or other judicial process any right or security under that credit agreement. The National Consumer Tribunal may amend or rescind the once-off debt relief if, for example, the consumer's financial circumstances change or if the consumer was dishonest in the application. Committee Chairperson, Ms Joanmariae Fubbs, said the Committee will tomorrow commence deliberations on the Bill.

Source: Parliament of the Republic of South Africa