Daily Archives: October 6, 2017

Social Development hosts annual Children’s Parliament in ...

The 7th Children's Parliament to sit in Kimberley

Unaccompanied minors, stateless children, harmful traditional practices, corporal punishment in the home, the life and times of OR Tambo are some of the issues South African children will debate during the 7th Children's Parliament in Kimberley this week.

The Department of Social Development will, together with the Nelson Mandela Children's Fund (NMCF) host the annual children's parliament.

October is also Social Development month and the theme for this year's Parliament is: Envisioning the Africa We Want to Live In: Contextualising the Second National Plan of Action for Children 2017 � 2022.

The ultimate goal of the Children's Parliament is to create a channel for children's participation and afford them an opportunity to influence policies as well as programmes targeting at ensuring that their rights are realised.

The children will also be introduced to the first Children's commissioner and the Minister of Social Development, Ms Bathabile Dlamini, will during the parliamentary sitting, deliver a key note address.

Source: Government of South Africa

SABC media report misleading

Communications Minister Ayanda Dlodlo has noted a misleading report by The Times Newspaper regarding appointments at the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC).

The Times report alleges that President Zuma missed the deadline for appointing an SABC chief operating officer because none of the candidates met expectations.

This is a highly confused and misleading report, a statement issued by the Government Communications and Information System (GCIS) said on Friday.

On Thursday, Minister Dlodlo addressed a media briefing on the state of entities under her executive authority, where she indicated that the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) verification process was underway.

Once that is complete, the information will be sent to the President to enable him to make his final decision.

Regarding vacant executive management positions at SABC, the Minister said that she wanted to ensure that the people who are appointed in the positions of Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer were of requisite skill and expertise.

She added that she needed turn around specialists at the entity and what she had been presented with so far did not meet that criteria, the GCIS said.

According to the department, the President is not involved in the appointment of executive management at the SABC, it is the board that recommends to the Minister who in turn makes the final decision on the appointments.

Source: South African Government News Agency

Minister Des van Rooyen leads International Day for Disaster ...

South Africa to commemorate the International Day for Disaster Reduction (IDDR)

The members of the media are invited to the commemoration of the International Day for Disaster Reduction (IDDR) as follows:

Date: 13 October 2017

Venue: Garden Court Marine Parade, eThekwini Metropolitan Municipality, KZN

Time: 08h00

The Constitution of the Republic of South Africa (1996, s.23) mandates government to ensure people live in a safer environment not harmful to their health or well-being. As such, South Africa as a signatory to the UNISDR, participates in its programmes and will in line with resolution 64 of 21 December 2009, commemorate the International Day for Disaster Reduction (IDDR).

The Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (CoGTA), Mr Des van Rooyen in partnership with the MEC responsible for Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs in KZN Province, Ms Nomusa Dube-Ncube and the Mayor of eThekwini Metropolitan Municipality, Councillor Zandile Gumede will lead the 2017 event which South Africa will convene on 13 October 2017. The event will also be attended by the delegation from the United Nations Office for Disaster Reduction who will have the opportunity to convey the United Nations message on the event.

The United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR) serves as a global platform to coordinate disaster reduction and to ensure synergies among disaster reduction activities of the United Nations member states and associations.

In an effort to implement the global disaster management vision, the UNISDR implements various disaster risk reduction programmes, including activities around the annual commemoration of the International Day for Disaster Reduction (IDDR). Every year, the UNISDR identifies a specific theme in terms of which the IDDR is celebrated. The theme for the 2017 IDDR is: Home Safe Home: Reducing Exposure, Reducing Displacement. It is meant to ensure that all efforts are made to eliminate displacements resulting from disasters.

The objective of the observance of the IDDR:

1. is to raise awareness on how people are taking action to reduce their risk to disasters.

2. It is also a day to encourage every citizen and government to participate in building more disaster resilient communities and nations.

The event is therefore meant to ensure:

1. Understanding of disaster risk;

2. Strengthening of disaster risk governance to manage disaster risk;

3. Investment in disaster risk reduction for resilience, and;

4. Enhancement of disaster preparedness for effective response and to Build Back Better in recovery, rehabilitation and reconstruction.

The event will explore in detail the following key areas:

Substantially reduce the number of affected people globally by 2030

Reduce direct disaster economic loss in relation to global gross domestic product (GDP) by 2030;

Substantially reduce disaster damage to critical infrastructure and disruption of basic services.

Substantially increase the number of countries with national and local disaster risk reduction strategies by 2020;

Substantially enhance international cooperation in developing countries through adequate and sustainable support to complement their national actions for implementation of the present Framework by 2030;

Substantially increase the availability of and access to multi-hazard early warning systems and disaster risk information and assessments to people by 2030.

Source: Government of South Africa

Another family killed in KZN

The KwaZulu-Natal Organised Crime Task Team is investigation yet another family massacre in Mariannhill, near Pinetown.

Police say on Thursday at around 23:00, a family was accosted by unknown gunmen, who fired multiple shots at five members of the family, aged between 19 and 34.

Four of the family members died at the scene and the other victim died in hospital on arrival.

Mariannhill police have opened a docket with five counts of murder and it has been transferred to the Provincial Organised Crime Task Team for investigation.

The motive of the attack is subject to ongoing investigation, police said on Friday.

Acting Provincial Commissioner Major General Bheki Langa condemned the attack and urged community members to assist the police in ensuring that the criminals are prosecuted.

Such family attacks cannot be tolerated. We will work around the clock to solve these cases and send the killers behind bars so that it can be a lesson to others who still think that they can get away with crime, said Langa.

This attack comes just three days after family members, many of whom were children, were shot and burnt in two separate homesteads in Matimatolo, near Greytown, also in KwaZulu-Natal.

We will work tirelessly to ensure that all the culprits are apprehended and prosecuted, said Langa.

Source: South African Government News Agency

UJ commended for acting in alleged fraud case

Higher Education and Training Minister Dr Blade Nzimande has welcomed the swift action taken by the University of Johannesburg (UJ) over alleged fraud by two senior council members.

Two weeks ago, the university informed the Minister of the outcome of an independent forensic investigation probing allegations of fraud by the institution's Chair of Council and an executive finance manager within the university's commercial domain.

The council considered a two-month investigation conducted by auditing firm, Sizwe Ntsaluba Godobo, which concluded that there was a prima facie case that the actions of the Chair of Council, Professor Roy Marcus, and Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Finance, Jaco van Schoor, contravened legal provisions and ethical obligations, including those contained in the university's statute.

The council is currently putting in place a civil case to recover all the money allegedly siphoned from the university and is also considering instituting criminal charges against the two.

Minister Nzimande commended the university council for demonstrating exemplary leadership and the swift manner in which they dealt with this matter.

Without pre-judging this matter, it is good for UJ and the entire higher education system that the university has resolved to take all necessary steps to recover any financial losses that it may have suffered.

We are also glad to learn that UJ will be instructing its lawyers to investigate whether there is also a basis for laying criminal charges against any of those implicated in the case. This should send a strong message to other public institutions of our zero tolerance to any form of corruption, and that we will deal ferociously with the perpetrators, especially those entrusted with public money, Minister Nzimande said.

The Minister also wished UJ's newly-appointed council Chairperson, Mike Teke, well. Teke wrote to Minister Nzimande last week Thursday, as required by the Higher Education Act, advising the Minister of the outcome of the forensic investigation into the matter.

He also informed the Minister that Professor Marcus had resigned from the UJ Council and that the university was immediately instituting disciplinary action against the Deputy Vice-Chancellor.

In the interest of maintaining stability to the university, I have since ordered my department to immediately initiate the process of appointing a new ministerial appointee to UJ council to replace Professor Marcus, Minister Nzimande said.

Source: South African Government News Agency

Retired Judge Frans Kgomo announced as new Hawks watchdog

Police Minister Fikile Mbalula has announced the appointment of retired Judge Frans Kgomo as the head of the Office of the Judge Complaints Unit for the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (DPCI).

The Minister made the announcement at a media briefing at the Imbizo Centre in Cape Town on Friday following the passing of Judge Essa Moosa.

The Minister said after consultation with the Minister of Justice and the Chief Justice, Judge Kgomo was appointed to investigate complaints from any member of the public relating to any serious infringement of rights caused by the DPCI or complaints received from a member of the DPCI.

The DPCI, commonly referred to as the Hawks, is tasked with the legal responsibility of preventing, combating and investigating national priority offences and other offences, including selected offences referred to in the Prevention and Corrupt Activities Act, 2004 Act No 12 of 2004.

Judge Kgomo's role does not derogate the role of the Independent Police Investigative Directorate and the General of Intelligence but compliments these institutions and as such they will work together in the protection of our people and maintenance of integrity in our criminal justice system, Minister Mbalula said.

The Minister said Judge Kgomo, who was the Judge President of the Nothern Cape Division in Kimberly, has an impressive human rights background, having previously practised as an advocate at the North West Bar.

Judge Kgomo was also a member of the National Association of Democratic Lawyers (NADEL) and the Lawyers for Human Rights.

The appointment of Judge Kgomo will contribute in ensuring that the DPCI executes its mandate in accordance with the spirit of the constitution.

I look forward to working with you Judge [Kgomo] and thank you for accepting my invitation in your retirement to serve your people once again, he said.

Judge Kgomo thanked the Minister for showing confidence in him, and said he looks forward to working in the company of the men in blue again after having interacted with police throughout his career.

Mr Minister, thank you very much for the confidence that you have bestowed upon me. Our Chief Justice is a person who wants people always to hit the ground running and he does not want excuses. I have known him and worked with him from 1986. When he intimated to me that the Minister wants someone to do this responsibility, I was a bit taken aback but I am looking forward to perform this function.

Source: South African Government News Agency

Western Cape Education on National Nkosi Albert Luthuli Young ...

The Western Cape takes double gold at the National Nkosi Albert Luthuli Young Historians' Awards

Dayyaan Edries, a Grade 10 learner from Vista Nova High School and his teacher Ms. Pertunia Mutheiwana, won the National Young Historians' Award which was held at the Department of Basic Education in Pretoria from 29th September to 2nd October 2017.

Sixty four Grade 8 � 11 Social Sciences/ History learners and twelve teachers from eight provinces participated in the competition. The annual competition is an initiative by the National Department of Basic Education as a contribution to strengthening History as a subject of choice in schools.

The competition is named after the first Nobel Peace laureate South of Sahara, Nkosi Albert John Luthuli, who apart from his fight for total emancipation of the oppressed, was a distinguished educationist, having taken up his first teaching assignment at Adams College, where he completed his Higher Teachers' Training Course.

Dayyaan's research focuses on 'A life story of a former activist in Bonteheuwel, who emulates the values of Oliver Thambo in addressing issues of non-racialism and socio-economic inequalities'. He interviewed Mr. Quentin Michaels from Bonteheuwel to highlight the impact he had in the Bonteheuwel community and verified the information by interviewing Mr. Neville van der Rheede and Ms .Charlene Edum.

Teachers are important role-players in this competition, as they guide the learners through the formal oral history research process. Ms. Pertunia Mutheiwana from Vista Nova High School presented how she introduced the process and the implementation plan of oral history to the learners.

Ms Mutheiwana explains that 'as my learners hail from a special educational needs background, it has always been imperative to make them realise that disability is not an inability hence their chances of success in all spheres of life hinges on equality'.

Ms. Dodgen concludes that 'through the competition the learners and teachers are accessing the memory of ordinary citizens. History is not only about our heroes, but also about everyday people in our communities. Their names may not appear in the history books, but they have made an immense contribution to get us where we are today'.

Congratulations to both Dayyaan Edries and Ms. Pertunia Mutheiwana on their achievement.

Source: Government of South Africa