Category Archives: General

Suspect arrested with abalone in Somerset West

Our continued investigations into the lucrative illegal abalone trade in the Western Cape resulted in the arrest of a 45-year-old man last night in Somerset West. The suspect was apprehended in De Beers Lane by the Provincial Detectives busy transporting abalone with an estimated street value of R300 000. Once charged, he is expected to make a court appearance in Somerset West to face the charge against him.

Source: South African Police Service

Jealous boyfriend arrested for murder

KING WILLIAM’S TOWN: Ngqamakwe Police have arrested a 37-year-old man for alleged murder of his girlfriend aged 28. It is alleged that the suspect found the deceased with another man at her home at Goodhope locality, Kotana Village, Ngqamakhwe on Thursday, 06 September 2018 at about 21:00.

The suspect became suspicious that his girlfriend was cheating on him. He started to quarrel and to assault the girlfriend. The other man left when the suspect arrived. The girlfriend was fatally injured this morning Friday, 07 September 2018 at about 03:00. She was assaulted with a sjambok until she passed away.

Ngqamakhwe Police were informed of the murder. They responded swiftly, traced and arrested the suspect. He has been charged with murder. He will appear before the Ngqamakhwe Magistrate’s Court on Monday, 10 September 2018 on a charge of murder. The identity of the deceased is still being withheld as some of her relatives are still being informed of her murder. Butterworth Cluster Commander Brigadier Ngangema Xakavu condemned the murder of the defenceless woman. He praised Ngqamakhwe Police for their quick reaction in arresting the suspect.

Source: South African Police Service

Social grant beneficiaries urged to exchange old cards

Cabinet has strongly appealed to social grant beneficiaries to make the switch from the old South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) cards to the new gold card.

The South African Post Office (SAPO) and SASSA are currently migrating social grant beneficiaries to a new gold SASSA card that is tailored to prevent illegal deductions on social grants.

The new SASSA card operates fully within the national payment system and social grants beneficiaries can use it to make ATM and merchant cash withdrawals, free retail merchant purchases as well as to withdraw cash over the counter inside a Post Office.

Briefing media on the outcomes of the Cabinet meeting held on Wednesday, Communications Minister Nomvula Mokonyane said SASSA has so far replaced about 5.5 million old cards with the new card, but thousands still need to be exchanged.

SASSA, SAPO partnership welcomed

Cabinet also welcomed the progress report presented by Social Development Minister, Susan Shabangu, on the partnership between SASSA and SAPO to take over the payments of social grants from Cash Paymaster Services (CPS) with effect from 1 October 2018.

SAPO will also take over the payment of cash to those recipients who were unable to withdraw cash from ATMs or merchants.

During a media briefing last week, Minister of Telecommunications and Postal Services Siyabonga Cwele assured beneficiaries that the process of phasing out CPS and phasing in SAPO to pay social grants was moving smoothly with no glitches expected.

Cwele explained that the glitches experienced in July regarding the payment of grants were not caused by SASSA or SAPO, but network challenges.

We continue to support our operators on the ground and are making sure that we improve the infrastructure and conditions for grant recipients to receive their grants, Cwele said at the time.

Theft of cables condemned

Meanwhile, Cabinet condemned the theft of cables at one of the Post Office branches in Pretoria, which affected the payment of social grants.

Cabinet appealed to the affected beneficiaries and urged South Africans to frown upon the selling of stolen goods.

For further information, social grant beneficiaries can call the SASSA toll-free number on 0800 60 10 11 during office hours.

Source: South African Government News Agency

Committees Meets with Former Steinhoff CEO, Mr Markus Jooste

Parliament� The Standing Committees on Finance; the Standing Committee on Public Accounts (Scopa); the Portfolio Committees on Trade and Industry and; the Portfolio Committee on Public Service and Administration met with the former Chief Executive Officer of Steinhoff, Mr Markus Jooste.

Today’s meeting is the fourth meeting held this year by the committees on the Steinhoff matter.

Mr Jooste’s overall statement and responses to questions made out that he was not aware of any financial irregularities, has done no wrong and cannot be held personally responsible for the collapse of Steinhoff shares.

The Chairperson of the Standing Committee on Finance, Mr Yunus Carrim, said the committees felt that Mr Jooste could have been far more forthcoming and answered

questions more precisely without incriminating himself or undermining his right to a fair trial in a court of law or a fair inquiry by a regulatory body. He said that, in a way, by not being open, Mr Jooste suggested he has much to hide.

His account to Parliament reinforces our call that the regulatory bodies and other state agencies should act swiftly and more decisively to deal with those who did wrong at Steinhoff, said Mr Carrim.

Mr Carrim said they recognised the complex and global nature of corporate scandals such as Steinhoff’s and the huge amount of forensic and other investigative work necessary to establish exactly what happened and who is responsible for precisely what failure, but surely there should be more progress, 10 months after the collapse of the Steinhoff shares.

More can and needs to be done, said Mr Carrim.

Mr Carrim said they also believe there needs to be far more concerted cooperation between the relevant state agencies in our country and Germany, the Netherlands and elsewhere.

The committees’ particular concern remains the poor performance of the Hawks and the National Prosecuting Authority, and strongly believe that they need more forensic, auditing and other technical skills to effectively fulfil their responsibilities in regard to Steinhoff.

While there is considerable focus on public sector corruption at present, the private sector usually goes scot-free. We need to decisively deal with private sector corruption. After all, in most cases of public sector corruption there is a private sector hand at work, said Mr Carrim.

Source: Parliament of the Republic of South Africa

Sibanda admits to tricky 2018 COSAFA Women’s Championship draw

Zimbabwe coach Sithethelelwe Sibanda admits her side had received a tricky draw in the 2018 COSAFA Women’s Championships as they prepare to battle for the trophy this year in Nelson Mandela Bay from September 12-22.

Zimbabwe were champions in 2011, but lost to South Africa in the final on home soil last year, and in 2018 have another tough first round draw.

The Mighty Warriors open their Group C campaign against Namibia on September 13, before a clash with Swaziland the following day and then a final fixture against East African guest nation Uganda.

It’s a very tricky draw just like the other groups. Believe me Namibia are a very good team, Sibanda told The Herald. This is a new game, it’s not about history, but about how prepared and how we will perform in the match.

The Uganda game is a very tricky assignment, they are fresh from CECAFA [Women’s Challenge Cup], the team cohesion is still there, we need to be at our best.

At the end of the day we just have to try and work with the time that we have and stay positive, Sibanda added.

The coach believes the field, that also includes Cameroon, ranked number three on the African continent, is a very tough one.

West African countries possess talent as shown by them having foreign-based talent, so it’s a tricky tournament. We just need to be positive and give it our best and let God lead the rest.

Only the top team in each group will advance to the semifinals, along with the best-placed runner-up.

Women’s football in Zimbabwe has seen a resurgence in recent years after the side won the Southern African championship in 2011 and also qualified for the Olympic Games football tournament in Brazil in 2016.

Zimbabwe preliminary COSAFA Cup squad

Goalkeepers: Shebba Rauli (Auckland), Chido Dzingirai (Correctional), Lindiwe Magwede (Cyclone Stars), Cynthia Shonga (Faith Drive).

Defenders: Sheila Makoto (Blue Swallows), Lynett Mutokuto (Black Rhinos), Sarudzai Chikowore (Harare City), Edline Mutumbami (Blue Swallows), Danai Bhobho (Harare City), Nobuhle Majika (M.S. U), Nobukhosi Ncube (Correctional), Sithembile Nyoni (Weerams), Diana Nyika (M.S.U).

Midfielders: Emmaculate Msipa (Black Rhinos), Marjory Nyaumwe (Correctional), Mavis Chirandu (Black Rhinos), Greater Bande (Cyclone Stars), Rumbidzai Zhoya (Auckland), Felistas Muzongondi (Black Rhinos), Peacemore Kenende (Inline Academy), Evermore Mutandwa (Weerams), Kudzanai Chiparausha (Blue Swallows), Concilia Madotsa (Faith Drive).

Strikers: Maudy Mafuruse (Faith Drive), Rutendo Makore (Black Rhinos), Erina Jeke (Correctional), Berita Kabwe (Correctional), Shamiso Mutasa (Harare City) Elizabeth Bvunzawabaya (Cyclone Stars), Susan Nyama (Herentals).

Source: South African Football Association

Committee Sends Condolences to Families after Denel Factory Accident

Parliament� The Portfolio Committee on Public Enterprises has sent its condolences to the families and friends of the people that died in an explosion at the Rheinmetall Denel Munition factory in Somerset West on Monday.

The Chairperson for the committee, Ms Lungi Mnganga-Gcabashe, said: Our hearts go out to those who have lost their loved ones in this tragic accident and we wish the injured a speedy recovery.

Ms Mnganga-Gcabashe called for law-enforcement agencies to investigate the causes of the explosion.

Source: Parliament of the Republic of South Africa

Committee Sends Condolences to Families after Denel Factory Accident

Parliament� The Portfolio Committee on Public Enterprises has sent its condolences to the families and friends of the people that died in an explosion at the Rheinmetall Denel Munition factory in Somerset West on Monday.

The Chairperson for the committee, Ms Lungi Mnganga-Gcabashe, said: Our hearts go out to those who have lost their loved ones in this tragic accident and we wish the injured a speedy recovery.

Ms Mnganga-Gcabashe called for law-enforcement agencies to investigate the causes of the explosion.

Source: Parliament of the Republic of South Africa

New licence online booking system gets thumbs up

Reports from the Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) show a positive response to the new online booking system to obtain driver’s licences at the Centurion licensing station.

A total of 663 out of 3 128 persons have pre-booked on the system, which shows a 21 percent uptake over three days since the system went live, said Gauteng MEC for Roads and Transport Ismail Vadi.

The Department of Transport and its agency, the Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC), recently launched the NaTIS Online Booking Services at the Centurion Licensing Station in Pretoria.

Developed by the RMTC, the system will see motorists making pre-bookings online for the renewal of their driver’s licences and learner licences. For now, the service will only be available to Gauteng drivers.

The new online booking system has several advantages for the residents of Gauteng. It reduces the waiting times at the Driving Licence Testing Centres (DLTCs). We know that currently people wait between four to six hours, if not more, to get through the process of applying for a learners or drivers’ licence, or to renew their driving licences, the MEC said.

On Tuesday, Vadi Tabled the Annual Reports of the Department of Roads and Transport in the Gauteng Legislature.

He said the online booking system allows for personal flexibility, choice and convenience.

An applicant can choose an appropriate date, time and place for conducting the various testing functions. Additionally the online service will reduce the possibility for corrupt practices.

The interesting fact is that we have had high interest in the online booking system from areas such as Kliptown, Temba and Mabopane. I have no doubt that this technological solution will have a very positive impact on reducing waiting times at the DLTCs, the MEC said.

According to the Infrastructure Report by the South African Institute of Civil Engineering (SAICE) for 2017, the Gauteng’s provincial road network has improved.

It is gratifying that 71% of Gauteng’s paved network has been rated in the ‘fair’ to ‘very good’ categories. This shows that the proactive approach of the department’s construction and maintenance units is yielding positive results, he said.

Source: South African Government News Agency