Six people perish in shack fire

GQEBERHA – Six people including three children tragically lost their lives in a shack fire during the early hours of this morning, 24 November 2022 in Kamesh.
It is alleged that at about 00:38 this morning, police attended to a complaint of a shack fire in Moeggesukkel in Kamesh. On arrival, the shack was completely gutted to the ground. It is further alleged that it was load shedding and the family went to sleep, leaving a candle burning. The mother woke up when the shack had already started burning. The woman and her husband managed to escape through a window however the remaining six people could not get out in time. The neighbours assisted in dousing the flames with buckets of water while waiting for the fire brigade to arrive.
The couple’s three children, Asciwalise Ngqina (3-year-old boy), Asipile Ngqina (6-year-old female) and Ibanathi Ngqina (11-year-old female) died in the fire. Three other adults aged between 22 and 48 years who were also in the house, died. Their names are yet to be established and their next of kin to be traced
The mother of the children sustained burn wounds to both her arms and hands. She was treated on the scene by paramedics while the father sustained burn wounds on his face and arms. He was taken to hospital for further treatment.
Police have opened an inquest docket for investigation.
Police are urging residents to be extra cautious when using alternate lighting during load shedding. Candles, gas and primus stoves must be switched off before going to bed. The use of these type of lighting must be constantly checked to avoid situations such as this tragic incident.

Source: South African Police Service